Treatment of a runny nose and a care for the nasal mucosa
Nasal congestion can negatively affect daily social life and such activities like sleeping, working, and studying. There are many medicines available in pharmacies which help to solve the problem of the nasal congestion, but it is necessary to use them correctly.
Currently, nasal decongestants (xylometazoline, naphazoline, oxymetazoline, etc.) are widely used due to their relatively inexpensive cost and quick effect. But despite these two factors, the uncontrolled use of nasal decongestants can cause the development of side effects.
Side effects of nasal decongestants
- atrophy of the nasal mucosa, nosebleeds caused by thinning of the mucous membrane;
- irritation of the mucous membrane;
- rhinitis medicamentosa or 'rebound congestion' caused by the overuse of topical nasal decongestants
- some systemic side effects: increased blood pressure, tachycardia, headache, visual disturbances, sedation, insomnia, depression, headache
- poisoning by the drugs of this group.
To avoid the development of side effects, it is recommended to use nasal decongestants with a certain frequency for no more than 3-5 days. Always read the full labeling before using any drug product and use only as directed.
There are additional measures that help to avoid negative effects of nasal decongestants on the nasal mucosa:
- To exclude products containing benzalkonium chloride, this excipient in the composition of some medicines can have a damaging effect on the nasal mucosa
- Use of substances that have a positive effect on the nasal mucosa.
The effect of hyaluronic acid on the nasal mucosa
Hyaluronic acid has a positive effect on the nasal mucosa. It promotes regeneration and can protect the nasal mucosa from new damages.
Hyaluronic acid can be found in a composition of some medicines, including Olyfrin nasal care spray. It can be used in adults and children from 3 years old. In addition to hyaluronic acid, Olyfrin contains another component - vitamin E. Due to its antioxidant properties it can provide an anti-inflammatory effect. The duration and frequency of taking Olyfrin are not limited.